It's Friday
The alarm on my Samsung phone goes off at 07:30 so I can get ready for work. I snooze. Finally wake up, switch on my LG aircon (elnino knows how much I need it given this weather!), open the LG sliding doors leading to my laundry area which houses my Daewoo washing machine and other stuff. I need some music. Switch on my LG Xnote and turn it up. <aaaah>
![]() |
| My phone vs the TAB |
![]() |
| Lotte Young Plaza downtown. Department store bliss |
I sing along while I wash my face with The Face Shop (LG owned) free samples. I'm late. Jasmine's waiting for me at the corner on her Kia Soul. 'Sorry I'm late!' I say, 'That's okay' she replies and as I look up the silly bus driver feels the need to squeeze his Daewoo bus right in front of us. Now we're right behind this dude who feels the need to drive slowly while showing off his spanking new Renault-Samsung S7 as he drives out of the dealership around the corner from my workplace.
![]() |
| Hyundai's Genesis Luxury Cars. Surprise, huh?! |
![]() |
| Samsung's Premium Clothing range |
![]() |
| Bean Pole for men (Who woulda thought Samsung could pull this off?!) |
![]() |
| Ze French and ze Koreans unite |
![]() |
| To make ze Samsung Renault baby |
I sit at my desk and quietly moan about the 30 story Samsung, Hyundai and LG apartment blocks that are completely blocking the view of a potentially pleasant daydream. Also, why did LG telecom mess up my cellphone bill?? aaargh. A cheer up from eating my Lotte chocolate should fix it.
![]() |
| Collage of typical Korean apartment blocks |
![]() |
| Student's gift to me. Lotte Crunky Chocolate slab |
At least I can look forward to the Samsung Lions vs Lotte Giants game tonight. Fell in love with this baseball thing after we (Samsung Lions) beat the Kia Tigers last week.
![]() |
| Samsung Lion-uh! |
![]() |
| "I wanna thank my mom, Kia.." |
![]() |
| LG oh-so-serious |
![]() |
| Lotte Giants |
Nope, I wasn't paid to give these companies a shout out on my blog- this is reality. I'm living like a Korean now, which means I have to swear by Local being Lekker (non SA friends, that's Afrikaans for nice, delicious or fun).
It still fascinates me how loyal the Koreans are to their local companies' products. Companies you may or may not know are South Korean:
Samsung
LG
Hyundai
Kia
Daewoo
Lotte
Lotte
Of the pack, the ones with their fingers in every pie are mainly the first two, with the third and fourth also featuring here there and everywhere.
Oligopoly (noun)
A state of limited competition, in which a market is shared by a small number of producers or sellers
This is juuuust how Korea rolls. The bosses of LG and Samsung must just luuurv the power they have over here.
In fact, you'd swear LG and Samsung were campaigning for presidency, and succeeding by winning the hearts and top votes in the following provinces:
In fact, you'd swear LG and Samsung were campaigning for presidency, and succeeding by winning the hearts and top votes in the following provinces:
Cellphones
Electronics
Retail
Baseball
Real estate
Entertainment
Finance
Cosmetics
Shipping
Cosmetics
Shipping
and just more things I can't type without my jaw dropping in amazement. These bad boys are on a roll!
It amazes me how different the South African consumers are though. We would never trust the blokes making our microwaves to make our cars; the guys making our fridges to manage a winning baseball team or suit us up enough to impress the ladies. The Koreans are something else though, just make them a cellphone and they'll trust you to build their dream house! Stru!
It amazes me how different the South African consumers are though. We would never trust the blokes making our microwaves to make our cars; the guys making our fridges to manage a winning baseball team or suit us up enough to impress the ladies. The Koreans are something else though, just make them a cellphone and they'll trust you to build their dream house! Stru!
So there you have it: everything you need, from clothes to cars, brought to you by the 'vice presidents' of Korea: Samsung, LG, Hyundai, Kia and Lotte. I'm sure their campaign slogan would be "Import? For WHO?!" Can you say, self-sufficient South Korea?!














WOW!! That is sooo interesting to know...had no idea and you're so right about the SA consumer, we trust certain brands to supply only certain products#lol
ReplyDeleteLove reading your blog babe!
Have a super weekend stay blessed xoxo
It's being out of it that makes me realise it. The joys! xoxox Thanks, Neo
ReplyDeleteCraziness! Samsung clothing line, and it looks good! Who would of funk it.
ReplyDeleteIt's one of the expensive brands. The same folk carry around LV bags and such.
ReplyDelete