Monday, November 21, 2011

Sponsored Weekend Away

A lovely 2 day, 1 night trip to the cultural capital of Korea with beach kite flying, traditional paper making, evening lantern walking, soap making, temple visiting, green tea sipping, rice cake beating and more on the itinerary. 

Having studied this Uni, I know how splurging on these kind of trips for over 150 employees is a very strategic move- keep them happy and they will stay. And guess what? It worked (on me, that is). So I take my hat off to people who took the time to plan for this trip and to get it approved by the bigger bosses. 

It was such a lovely get away from the Daegu sky scrapers that mess up a clean sky line and to just see old school Korea. I was also glad that there were people I knew going on the same weekend as me (Raquel, Daniel, Christine and Charde) who made for good photo partners and crazy 8 competitors while the rest were out getting their drank on.  

I'd break it down for you, but I know reading's a mission so I'll let the pics (courtesy of Charde Mills) do the talking:
 

Yes, that bag is too big for 1 night. I don't own a smaller one. Please don't judge :)
The schlep of  putting your shoes on after eating the traditional way

Ryla, making soap. Smelt amAZING!
Made some pencil cases too. This one's my baby :)
Cuties at the temple. But, poor Burberry- the victim of severe brand damage. Eish.
Great, Keke. Be the one who looks at the leaves as if they're bullets. Hmf. 
I became a kid again while trying to fly my kite. At this point- it had finally taken off :D
... And God smiled down on us. (P.S. Those 'hills' are actually ancient tombs)

Then... we beat the life outta the rice to make traditional rice cakes. No- this was not  an attempted murder.
Lantern walk in the rain (which made a 15minute guest appearance)
Man made pond with the lovely reflection of the modern edition of the Silla Dynasty's King's palace.
Perfect reflection on the pond waters.
Typical temple roofs. Rigid lines representing male and smooth, rounder  lines female (I think that's what they said)
Three lovely Saffers, a Canadian-Korean and a Taiwanese-American. This is the beautiful world we live in.

That thingy behind us is over a thousand years- but the youth in front of it... Ha!


Cute halmonies (grannies) willing to pose with the Saffers :) 
Few things are as fun as wannabe Destiny's Child 'Survivor' photo shoots. Yep.
Definitely one of my favourite weekends in Korea since I got to learn about and do things I probably wouldn't have done on my own. So if ever someone from home decides to visit- this is definitely one of our stops. Beautiful Gyeonju :) *No promises that I'll be sponsoring you!*

No comments:

Post a Comment