Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Can you spell Angel in Korean?

It sucks that I've been here for two months, and I'm still writing about how I got here. Tisk Tisk. African time at its best, I tell ya. But I figure it's good I cover the basics, so we're on (somewhat) the same page when I type and you read.

After orientation, we each got onto a bus headed to a school in our district where we would be met and welcomed by our new partners in crime- our co-teachers.

So the bus ride there was nothing but a little nap, since we were out til the res doors closed for curfew the night before. You know when you're driving long distance, and you're fast asleep, but as soon as you feel the car slowing down, or stopping, you wake up?? Yeah. Exactly that. After some time on the highway, the first halt at a traffic light alerted my subconscious that we were probably nearing our destination. I drink what's left of my water, and say a prayer. After all the orientation lectures, I now knew the importance of the role my co-teacher would play in my life for the year, so my prayer now was quite specific: a young, spontaneous, but mature female; someone that I wouldn't be afraid to ask for help when and I needed it.

So we all, nervously, walk into this school's hall and there are a bunch of people holding up large papers with our names on them. Just like the airport scene in the movies. It takes me a while to spot the person holding my name up. Another back to front, left to right pan, and before I see my name, the clothing addict in me drools over this gorgeously lumo coat that some one's wearing. Then our eyes meet. A smile. She's holding my name. "Great! She has style- that's a good start!". I walk towards her, and we exchange a heart-felt, 'nice to meet you'.

Her name is Hye Min Lee. For the westerners (yes, I fall in there now) she goes by the name Jasmine. She is proof that God's angels are located everywhere we go, and anywhere we need them.

On the first day, Jasmine literally made it her duty to make me comfortable, without ever suggesting that I was being a burden. She took me to the school to meet the staff that were there preparing for the new school year (Vice Principals, admin staff and Head Teacher), drove me to the immigration office to register for my Alien Registration Card (ARC), showed me my spanking new place, took me to get all the things I'd need for the first week or two (that took us about 2 hours to do!) and still insisted that she'd pay and let me re-imburse her as soon as the school gave me my settlement allowance.

From the get-go, I could just sense that she's a genuinely good-hearted person. That she's get down on all fours top help me wipe my dusty floors, make my bed, take me out for food, and worry about my potential loneliness on night 1, really assured me that I had scored big here. Her kindness reminded me so much of my Mother. Just phenomenal.

2 months in, and Jasmine's goodness has not yet worn out. If anything, she's become my big sister, my little sister (sometimes), my mommy, my teacher, and my friend. I am so blessed.

For your info: With the programme I'm with, part of the deal is that you get a co-teacher. This is the person that is responsible for making sure you are comfortable in your new place, and this person is also the Korean teacher at your school and handles translation, discipline etc in the classroom. Most people's relationships with their co-teachers end when 16:30 comes. A here-and-there conversation to help you read this and that and just to check you're okay. This is all great already, which is why I'm so happy to have more than that in Jasmine.

The coat that got me! this is my Jasmine

...and we still get the work done.
We certainly don't leave play time to the kids alone either.
So can I spell Angel in Korean? Yes.

Jay. Ay. Es. Em. Eye. En. Ee.

Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment