Monday, April 11, 2011

A Smooth Bon Voyage. An Eventful Welcome

To formally bid me farewell, two of my friends organised a 'surprise' farewell picnic for me at the Pretoria National Botanical Garden. The surprise element was kinda my idea, hence the inverted commas. I mean, it would have been lame for me to organise my own, right? Hehehe. Despite the fact that I was fashionably late, the day was blissful- good people, laughter, family, friends lovely gifts. Within an hour of my late arrival, we were visited by a bit of rain, and a lot of hail. Some hinted that it was a sign I shouldn't be leaving, but I was more than sure that the showers were a sign of how blessed I was to be leaving.

Good contingency planning saved us from having to cut it short. We moved the picnic to a nearby, indoor lounge for a few drinks, and last chats and hugs before driving back to Jo'burg for the Hansa Legends Tour concert (we were, honestly, only there for N.E.R.D).

Friends from back home (Mafikeng) prepared me a lovely lunch that Sunday, and then I had to get packing. Mission! Once my mom and sister got their hands dirty for me, I had made more progress than I would have, had I packed on my own. Needless to say, I'd have been waaaaay over the 30kgs I was allowed. I mean, how on earth do you cut down your whole life (technically) to 30kgs?! I had to quickly kill the sentimental hoarder in me.


Who doesn't love gifts??


 
So I've checked that I have my ticket, my extra luggage allowance print-out, my passport, and what ever else I need. I'm driving there with my mom (my flight is just after lunch hour on a week day so my sisters can't do the dramatic bye bye for me. I don't mind though). Everything runs smoothly, and I only cry after my mom hugs me for the last time. Perhaps the reality sunk in a little.

At the boarding gate, I see all the other Bravehearts- some looking sad, others excited, and others somewhat unfazed. Not sure where I fall in. There were about 100 odd of us, all trying to find make a quick connection so we don't feel as alone as we all are. Almost felt like I was starting high school all over again.

The flight (with Singapore Airlines) was about 9 hours from O.R Tambo to Singapore's Changi Airport where we would connect to Incheon, South Korea. On the flight, I sat next to a lovely lady from Durban (Phumi). We chatted in between my sprouts of sleep. We were both headed to teach in the same city, so it was great to have met her so early in the trip.

Our boarding time for the next flight was a few minutes after landing, so we got our passports and tickets ready and in hand so it would be quick and easy. Quick and easy?? Anything but!

As we joined the boarding gate queue at the Changi Airport, I fiddle in my pockets, my documents' folder, my handbag and everywhere else, but I could not find my passport. My whole passport?? Lost so soon?? 'But I just had it!' I kept saying.

I didn't hesitate to drop my bags, and do the dramatic, Amazing Race-type sprint through the airport. Frantically, I waved at the lady on the other side of the (locked) glass door we had just walked through. She tries sign language, I tried miming, and of course it was a dismal attempt at a serious game of charades.

After running around looking for an information desk, i had to let the group leave me behind, because, of course, I can't leave without a passport.

At the Singapore Airlines helpdesk, I explained my dilemma through snot en trane, huffing and puffing, but all they could offer me was a seat to sit on and wait. After about 2 hours of trying to get hold of my family (who were about 7hours behind), crying like a lost child, considering the heartbreak I'd go through if they sent me back home, asking the info desk people to call the embassy, and just panic all 'round, the friendly guy at the info desk called me forward. Good news. The cleaners on the aircraft found a South African passport under one of the seat rows. Of course it was mine. At that moment, I realised how brave I had been in the first place to do this Korea thing, and how blessed I was to have found the passport.

15, long hours' wait for the next flight to Incheon, South Korea, and the doubt and gratitude were still playing ping pong in my head. 'Don't be silly, Keke, you're not going back home now!' I had to keep telling myself. 5 hours' flight, and I was finally in Korea.

After a few more hours via bus and cab, I finally reached the orientation venue in Busan (east coast). I dropped my bags, signed in, and went straight into lectures. Of course, a warm welcome from the South Africans who left me behind in Singapore.

Orientation
 

Picture by John Tran


This year's EPIK (English Programme In Korea) orientation was divided into two groups, a couple of hundreds having orientation higher up north of South Korea, and the rest of us at the Pukyong National University on the south-east coast.
It was like real varsity orientation- booklets, programmes, nights out and even a curfew.
We had lectures everyday of the 9, even on a Sunday, but the evenings were free, and of course, most people had to go buck wild, Korean style. Perhaps drunkenness is the only way youngsters know how to enjoy themselves.
I met all sortsa people from Australia, the U.S., New Zealand, Ireland, Wales, England and Canada. Of course the cocktail of accents had me really excited. Those who don't know- I love accents (not so much the American one though-sorry).

The orientation was a great start and opportunity for us to get to know people who would be our friends and family for the year.


The 20th floor ladies


Linda Choe- My roomy during orientation

  

Opening Ceremony (which I missed). Picture courtesy of Linda Choe


Another courtesy of Linda Choe


Exploring the City

No comments:

Post a Comment