Monday, April 4, 2011

How On Earth Did I Get Here?

I was about to start going off about all sorts, when I realised that it's be a good start to let you know why I'm here in the first place, and why I got here.

So, I think it was 2 years ago when the idea of teaching English abroad first appealed to me. It had always been something I heard about in passing, but never paid it much mind. But one fine Saturday afternoon, late 2009, I was at work, helping a customer who was doing the last of her shopping before leaving for South Korea that day. We got to talking about what exactly this teaching English thing entailed, and by the end of that conversation, a little seed had been firmly planted in my curious head.

During the confusion and stress of applying to get into the BCom (Honours) Marketing Management programme of 2010 (how dramatic did I make that sound?!), I started picturing myself doing this job I'd heard about, but my curiosity was never strong enough to push me to applying. i got accepted to do my Honours, so I wasn't rushing it just yet.

Evey time I was bored of Facebooking at the 'China Man' I'd gather what information I could about this programme. By June of last year, I was certain that teaching English in South Korea is what I would do after my varsity career. Apart from the few people who are just keen for any international adventure, most of my friends were rather confused about the idea. Why, after 4 years of studying Marketing, would I want to go and become a teacher??

In all honesty, i had no real profound reason for wanting to do this, but in my heart, I just had this certainty about it. The fact that I'd be away from home for a year, in a new continent, where no one speaks my language (and probably never even seen a black person before), where I know not a single soul- none of that was enough to talk me out of doing it. Of course, getting my Mom on the same wavelength was a challenge on its own! I managed to bring the idea up in every conversation we had, and I think after all my hinting, she realised that her little 21 year old was serious about packing her bags and trying something new all on her own.

One August evening, as I was walking into my lecture, a bright red poster, with very little writing, and a large picture of a pretty Korean lady boasting her traditional gear, caught my eye. Of course, I noticed it because the seed had already been planted, but also because the year was coming to an end sooner than I had realised. I hadn't starting applying for this job I'd been speaking about all year, and I felt bad that I'd left it for this late. So when my friend and classmate stole, neatly folded, and presented me the poster in the form of a letter, I had no choice but to start applying.

TeachKorea (http://www.teachkorea.co.za/) was the name of the agency that advertised their free service on the poster. After a few phone calls and e-mails to their Cape Town office, I was 1 step closer to this Korean dream. That was of course a little bit scary, but I didn't ever think twice about it.

The basic stuff (amongst others) I had to have in order to qualify:

- a degree
- a TEFL/TESOL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language/ Teaching English to Speakers of Other   Languages) certificate with a minimum of 100 hours for the course
- be from one of the native English speaking countries (England, U.S.A, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, South Africa)

The agency's website had an excellent breakdown of the whole application process so I just made use of their step-by-step guide to get my application done.

By September 30th, 2010, I had posted my application. I had taken full responsibility for my application so it felt like a mission. Mom wasn't gonna be the hand that led me to apply for the job she was hoping I'd change my mind about.

From then on, the stress of getting my thesis done, writing exams and the end of my varsity career, was at its peak. When I realised that I had put all my thoughts into working in Korea, it killed me to think that I might have to re-think things and consider the possibility of going job hunting like the rest of my peers. I was so mentally set on this Korea thing that I didn't even look at graduate programme applications. In my mind, 2011 was Keke-in-Korea year. I think that's also what got me here.

I waited for the e-mail that confirmed my interview slot for just over 2 months. I think I must have been such a nuisance, calling, e-mailing, asking, confirming. I really wanted this job.

My interview finally came (07:30 South African time) Monday 6th December. I stayed over at a friend's place, since she had a land line the Korean people would call me on for my interview. Needless to say, 2 months' waiting had me almost giving up, so now I was super nervous 'cause I was another step closer. The lady on the other end threw me off with her American accent (I expected to have to repeat myself over and over again to someone whose English would be very basic), but it was a pleasant surprise.

The interview results would come out 2-5 working days after the interview, so I had expected that my waiting misery would end on Friday. But, nothing came. I considered calling to find out what was up but then I thought I'd seem desperate (which I actually was), so I didn't. Just after midday, 7 days after the interview, my caller I.D showed 'TeachKorea Calling...". I guess the suspense is ineffective since I'm here already, so you know I got the job. But I have to tell you how excited I was! I had been praying for that day for months! So I was over-joyed.

From then on, I had to rush getting sorted out since the next group was scheduled to leave mid February 2011.

Squatting at my sister's place from mid-December after moving out of Pretoria, I used her apartment as my office, my storage, my camp, my everything. Bless her for being kind enough to take in her very annoying sister (love you, Mpeo)! I had to register for the TEFL course, apply for my visa, gather the funds needed for my flight etc, and pretty much let it sink in the fact that I was about to leave everything I know, for a year!

So I spent a lot of time doing more research about what I was about to face by reading blogs, checking videos online and asking experienced people for advice. I really tried to find out as much as possible on what it was like being a person of colour (eish, euphemism can be so boring sometimes! You know I mean Black) living and working in Korea.

In January, I did my 4 week, intensive TEFL course with English Access  in Bordeaux, Randburg (http://www.englishaccess.co.za/). The school is really close to my sister's place, so that helped, since I don't have a car of my own. Of course, that meant she would be my 'school bus' (thanks again, Sissy). I think it annoyed her that I was too scared, or spoilt, as she put it, to catch a taxi. Blame Mommy! ^^, The course was great fun, and I learned a lot. It's crazy how little we know about the rules of English, and why we speak the way we do. How do you explain to someone the reason for 'win' being 'won' in the past tense, and what the difference is between can, may, and should.?! Shannon (our course teacher) did a great job at making the learning a fun and interesting experience.

On Saturdays, during the course, we helped the school with their 'community service' lessons. The school's Sandton branch offers free English classes to people who cannot afford to pay for private lessons. So it was mostly the domestic workers from the surrounding suburbs. I was really nervous about it at first. Perhaps because I assumed that the pride of an older Black woman, would get in the way of letting a little 'Model C' teach her something new. But it was the complete opposite. The ladies were so kind, and really just inspired to see this young person doing something so rare. It really made teaching them, a pleasant experience. They were just open to learning, and not afraid to ask questions and make mistakes. Some could barely hold a pencil properly. It was then that I realised how important education is- that was I committed myself to is more than just a way of making good money, and seeing cute Asian kids all day. It gave me a new respect for teachers in South Africa, especially. I'll stop there about my thoughts on education for now.

I finished my course 4 days before my departure, so my goodbyes, packing, and general preparation were quite rushed and tight.

I struggle with organising my train of thought, so now I'm not sure where I was going with this. Well, the real adventure story begins on my departure date, so I'll save that for the next session.

Okay

Bye for now

No comments:

Post a Comment